Windsor Cactus Garden
|Town or Locality:||Windsor, South Australia|
Mr Joe Lowey came to Windsor with his parents and brother in 1929. He purchased section 492 Hundred of Dublin in 1935. Joe Lowey constructed the garden and rockery on his section in 1951 on the property abutting Highway One about 5 kilometres north of Windsor. The stone for the rockery was collected from the ruins of the Hollams cottage on Secomb Road near Windsor and other items collected from around the district were incorporated in the displays.
The rockery covered about 3 acres of land and Mr Lowey had 50 to 60 varieties of Cacti - all watered only by natural rainfall. The rockery was visited by people from all around the world and the visitors book confirms this to be correct.
In November 1978 the Cactus garden appeared on the television show "Ask the Leyland Bros".
Mr Joe Lowey died on 26 July 1983, and the property was eventually sold. Following the church service to commemorate the centenary of the Windsor Institute on Sunday 12th August 1984, a plaque on the site of the Cactus Garden was dedicated by Rev. Kelvin Benn in memory of Mr Joe Lowey.
The new owners were unable to continue operating the property as a tourist attraction and the Windsor Cactus Garden was eventually closed to the public.
- Mrs Gwen Secomb Windsor S.A.
- "Life around the Light" A history of the Mallala District Council Area printed 1985