Wild Horse Plains Church
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Also known as:||The Christian Chapel and later The Methodist Church.|
|Street name:||Pt Wakefield Rd|
|Town or locality:||Wild Horse Plains|
|Established by:||Christian Disciples|
|Business or purpose:||Religous services|
Church was important to the majority of early settlers and if a suitable building was not available they would meet in a private home.
This applied to the Wild Horse Plains residents and Sunday services were held in the home of Mr McDonald.
In January 1882, Samuel Drury on behalf of the Christian Disciples, purchased the township block allotment 50 for the purpose of building a church. The land was immediately transferred to elected trustees, namely Robert Barr Jnr., William Jones, Adam Hart, Robert Dunlop Lawrie, and Frederick Hammond, all of Wild Horse Plains.
A few months were spent in plannng and preparation and the building commenced in June 1882. Well attended Sunday evening services held in the incompleted chapel commenced on May 1st 1883 and Mr Woolcock was taking a crowded afternoon service and established bible classes.
By July 1883 the chapel was complete and named The Christian Chapel. The Sunday School established a library which continuesd until 1933.
It appears that some time prior to 1906 the congregation changed from "Christian Disciples" to "Independant Baptists".
On 29 September 1906 the chapel was purchased by the Australian Christian Commonwealth for 50 pounds which included the organ, and became part of the Mallala Methodist Church Circuit. The new trustees appointed were James McDonald, Richard Bailey, Gilbert Jones - all farmers of Wild Horse Plains, George Beams plumber of Wild Horse Plains and John Dingle - minister of religion at Mallala.
On a Sunday in December 1917 the Reverend Thomas Weatherill of Mallala unveiled the honor roll which is dedicated to the 15 named soldiers who had enlisted from the District to serve their country in WW1.
Sunday School services continued as before with up to 40 children on the roll, but due to lack of numbers the Sunday School closed in 1938. Over the years the Sunday School anniversaries were held in the Wild Horse Plains Institute with a pooled tea and church service on the Sunday, preceded by a scratch football match on the Saturday.
In later years as numbers declined, the anniversary services returned to the chapel.
The church finally closed its doors in 1961 and the chapel was sold by tender in 1964.
- "Life Around the Light" A History of the Mallala Council Area published in 1985.
Memories of Wild Horse Plains Church
The Mallala Museum is pleased to be displaying the Wild Horse Plains WW1 and WW2 Honor Rolls.A visitor on a Mystery Bus Tour noticed the name of her father on the WW1 Honor Roll. It was an animated talking point and this led her to forwarding a photograph of her father a Light Horseman. These encounters greatly assist the Museum to add to the collection of data and increase the significance of the items in the collection.
The Mallala Museum has very few photographs pertaining to Wild Horse Plains. The committee would be grateful if anyone has a photograph of the church or any other building or people associated with Wild Horse Plains and would email or post to us. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - PO Box 731 Mallala 5502.