Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Two Wells Netball Club

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Sporting
Also known as: Two Wells Netball Club
Street name: Old Port Wakefield Road
Town or locality: Two Wells
Date established: 2-6-1937
Established by: Two Wells Community
Business or purpose: To form a Basketball (now Netball) Club
Loading map...

A meeting was held on the 2nd June 1937 for the purpose of forming a ladies Basketball Club. Those present were: Audrey Wilson, Gertrude Applebee, Vera Elbourne, Joan Rowe, Joan Sandford, Nancy Mahon, Joyce Baker, Pat Higgins, Shirley King, Madge Beaton, Grace King, Valda Richards, Margaret Henwood and Ruby Applebee. The annual subsciption was set at two shillings and it was decided to adopt a green uniform with a white shirt.

The first president was Audrey Wilson with Gert Applebee as the secretary. They called themselves the " Woketi Basketball Club"  and their motto was "Always Sport".  In 1950 they were accepted into the Gawler Association.

In 1956 they changed their uniform to a red and white box pleated uniform with a red and white check band, white girdle and shirt.

In 1960 the club left the Gawler Association and joined Central Districts with two teams. The following year the club entered four teams and won three premierships.  By 1964 they had returned to play in the Gawler Association. 
A big name change occured in 1972 when ladies Basketball was renamed Netball.

Mrs Yolanda Cannizzaro was accepted onto the committee of the Gawler  Districts Netball Association in 1978 and in 1981 was secretary of the Association as well as President of the Two Wells Club. She gave many years of dedicated service.

Netball matches were played at the Association courts in Gawler although the girls continued to practice under lights at Two Wells. The courts are on the North/western boundary of the Sporting Complex.

In 1989, some players formed a team in the Adelaide PLains Association and played in conjunction with the football programme.

In 2010, Two Wells have teams playing in each grade of the Adelaide Plains Netball Association from A1 through to D1 . The netball and football teams continue to play at the same venue each week. The enthusiasm and energy of the players is boundless and the chance for the families to socialize is of immense importance in the country districts.

Related Articles

Sources

  • "Two Wells Then and Now" by Bet Williams (second edition)



Memories of Two Wells Netball Club

Do you remember Two Wells Netball Club ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share