South Australian Country Women's Association Mallala Branch
|Type of organisation:|| Community Service
|Street name:||Dublin Road|
|Town or locality:||Mallala|
|Established by:||Mallala Community|
|Business or purpose:||Service and Companionship|
At the close of World War 2, having devoted much time and energy to the war effort, local women felt the need of a different role of service and companionship and discussed the possibility of the formation of a C.W.A. Branch. The Branch was formed in March 1946 and the first meeting was held in the old Church of Christ building April 4 1946.
Foundation Officers being President - Mrs. M. Roberts, Vice President- Mrs W. Broster, Secretary - Mrs. H. Curnow, Assistant Secretary - Mrs. O.L. East, Treasurer - Mrs. O. Pitt. Thirty ladies paid for Membership. Mrs. Steer formed the Handicraft group. The following year a building fund was established. Due to the polio epidemic in 1950 meetings were suspended temporarily.
The following years saw a Branch Choir established, a pine tree planted in the school grounds to mark the 1954 Royal Tour and the awarding of the Burton Cup for Handicraft to Mallala for three successive years.
When the Mallala Institute renovations commenced in 1959 a purpose built room for the C.W.A. was included in the planned work. The building fund had continued as a project and the amount of money saved in it had increased over the years and enabled the C.W.A.branch to finance such an asset. The room was officially opened by the State President, Mrs. T. A. Hunt-Cooke.
Many functions for fund raising were held over the years----Annual Debutante Balls, catering for weddings, Christmas Tree exhibitions and numerous other activities.
At the 21st. Birthday Celebrations of the Mallala Branch of C.W.A. the Life Membership honour was conferred on Mrs. M. Roberts. It was in recognition of 21 years of wonderful guidance as the President of the Mallala Branch.
Nine years later a storeroom and toilet facility were added to the building marking the 30th. anniversary of the Branch. The proceeds of a most successful Debutante Ball enabled the Mallala Branch Committee pay off the final amount owing on the rooms.
Several members attained positions at State and Divisional levels and Mrs. C. East visited the headquarters of the Women's Institute whilst inLondon,obtaining a link with an English W.I. group.
The Mallala Choral Group received good reports at the Annual Choral Festivals held in the Adelaide Town Hall, while the Drama Group under the leadership of Mrs. Barbara Franks, performed regularly at Competitions held at the Arts Theatre and other venues, with great success. On the local scene many activities were enjoyed by members and visitors from other groups, especially Table Days, when branches within the Burton Group held their own exhibition of work . The programme typically began with items of music and drama, an address by the State President or her deputy and greetings from other visitors , followed by a delicious lunch. Floral shoulder sprays were presented to the visiting dignitaries and flowers and gifts to the judges of the handicraft and cookery items on show.
The Mallala C.W.A. Branch celebrated the 60th. Anniversary of their Branch in 2006 and continue to meet monthly at the rooms, providing fellowship and activities for country women.
- Information collected from notes recorded by Mrs. Catherine East 1967-1974.