Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by



2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by


National Trust of South Australia


Seven Stars Hotel

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Business

Town or locality: Redbanks
Date established: 1865
Ceased operation: 1903
Established by: Charles Tilley
Business or purpose: Hotel
Loading map...

Charles Tilley, a farmer from Pinkerton Plains, constructed the Seven Stars Hotel building from the local limestone and timber in 1865.

The hotel was located on Sec. 103, Hundred of Grace, on land leased from Edward Armand Wright. Wright, a prominent Adelaide land agent, had taken up the section in 1861. The terms of Tilley's lease was for 10 1/2 years, for £1,000, to be paid evenly each year with the right to purchase.

The hotel was situated north of the intersection on the Mallala-Gawler Road at Redbanks, a prominent spot on the road travelled by the bullock wagons on the way to and from the Burra copper mines.A billiard room was also licensed. The shearers working up north on the big pastoral stations often rode on the bullock drays. Transport was scarce and entertainment on stations unobtainable. Some of these shearers came only as far as the Seven Stars Hotel. They spent the weekend, and a week or month's wages, and were then ready to go back shearing again with the bullock drays returning to the Burra. The cardsharps and prostitutes from Adelaide would know when the shearers were coming and would be booked into the Seven Stars, waiting.

When his lease was concluded in 1872, Charles Tilley bought the property.

In 1880 E.R. Bucknall and F.S. Batting leased this property from Charles Tilley for five years.

Bucknall and Batting transferred the hotel under lease to Carl Heinrich Wilhelm Baum of Redbanks, a licensed victualler, and then in 1882 to Thomas Loller of Redbanks, a licensed victualler.

The Loller family had a son, Harold, born at the hotel during this year.

Frank Richman Ayers and Harry Locket Ayers bought the property and rented it out until 1903 when James Hall became the owner.

The hotel was not licensed again to run a bar and billiard table, but it was a venue for social events and it was used for voting and as a hall.

Charlie Collins lived there. He was a scrub-clearer and later moved to Dublin.

James Jamieson, a farmer and horse breeder, lived in this hotel as a home for a long time. He also took in boarders. James Jamieson died on 19 November 1906, and the building remained empty until 1908 when Bert Loller used it as a temporary home, while his new house was being built.

James Hall, who had bought this property in 1903, later demolished the building, and in the 1920s used the timber and iron to build a mouse-proof barn.

About 1958 the licence at the Seven Stars Hotel was transferred to the Shandon Hotel in Adelaide.

The jarrah dining table from the “Seven Stars Hotel” is the sole item that still remains of that significant place, and is on display in the Mallala Museum

Related Articles

External Links

Seven Stars Hotel
Seven Stars Hotel
Redbanks Seven Stars Hotel
Redbanks Seven Stars Hotel

Memories of Seven Stars Hotel

Do you remember Seven Stars Hotel ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share