Reeves Plains Tennis
|Type of organisation:|| Sporting
|Town or locality:||Reeves Plains|
|Date established:|| 1912
The Reeves Plains Club was formed in October 1912 and in the minutes of the first meeting a resolution was carried `that the rules of the old club be adopted.' This notation indicated that organised tennis had been played at Reeves Plains before that time.
Tennis was played at the farm of Mr Spencer Day (section 123 Hundred of Grace) before 1912. There were earth courts on the western side of the farmhouse beside a row of sugar gum trees. (Cricket was also played at this farm on a cement pitch situated between the farmhouse and road on the eastern boundary.)
In December 1914 a general meeting was held and it was decided to purchase land alongside the Reeves Plains Church and to be invested in trustees from members of the club. Early in 1915 the club went ahead and laid gravel courts before the land transaction was finalised. The club, however, went into recess from 1916-1918. In that time the owner of the land ploughed up the courts and used the gravel to fill the boggy places in his farmyard. The land purchase was completed in 1918, the original trustees being T W Day, S. Day, T Alexander, C. Alexander, E. Day, A. Jones and Hurtle Day.
The club played in the Adelaide Plains Tennis Association from 1920 to 1941 when it went into recess during the war years until 1945. Two concrete courts were put down in 1945 and a third in 1957. In 1962 the club entered two teams, one in Lower North Association and the other with Gawler River Association. This continued until 1966 when the club continued with only one team in the Gawler River Association.
In 1970 electricity and lights were connected, allowing practice to be held after work.