Redbanks Methodist Church Hall
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Also known as:||Red Banks Methodist Church|
|Street number:||Lot 96|
|Street name:||Germantown Rd.|
|Town or locality:||Redbanks|
|Business or purpose:||Religious services|
The first meeting in connection with building a Methodist Church at Red Banks was held in the home of Tom Hall in 1932. In July 1933 it was decided to accept the offer of a tract of land from H. H. Roberts in the Red Banks sub division for this purpose.
Those willing to become trustees were: Messrs J. Hall, A.H. Loller, H.A. Verner, W. Agnew, L.D. Jenkin, M.W. Roberts, and others invited were A.E. Wait and S. Agnew.
A tender of 274 pounds 19 shillings was accepted. The builder was Mr Horace Verner who also built homes and sheds in the district. Many volunteers assisted him. The stone was quarried from an area between Mallala and Dublin and carted to the site on trolleys by volunteers.
Mr T.H. Worden laid the foundation stone on Saturday 12 April 1934.
The president of the Methodist Conference Rev. J.C.Stone opened the Red Banks Church Hall on 29 July 1934. The new building cost 533 pounds 10 shillings but many gifts were received and the hall opened almost free of debt. Two hundred and seventy people signed the visitors book on the opening day.
As well as a venue for Church services and Sunday School, the Church Hall was used for many social occasions including wedding breakfasts, parties, school breakups, dances, concerts and picture evenings.
At a committee meeting in August 1964 it was agreed to close the Red Banks Church Hall.