Post Office opening
|Type of event||Establishment|
|Town or locality||Mallala|
|Date occurred or began|| November 24, 1880
On the 24 November 1880 the residents of the area joined in festivities for the opening of the new building at 6 Wasleys Road Mallala. The building would be used for the Postal and Telegraphic Office and an agency for the Savings Bank of South Australia.
The contractor for the construction of the building was Mr Thomas Griggs.
The building had four rooms, namely the office plus living quarters consisting of sitting room, dining room and bedroom.
The general delivery window was situated under the verandah.
The bunting, flags and greenery draped over the buildings and spanning the street created a great display as the procession, including the school children marched to the Post Office.
The opening ceremony was performed by Mr Charles Todd, the Post Master General.
He delighted the audience with a demonstration of sending a message to the Governor and enabling them to hear music and the striking of the Adelaide Post Office Clock. Further entertainment for the day included sporting events for the children at the park and a banquet in the evening held at the Schirmer's Hotel.
- The Adelaide Observer
- 27 November 1880.