Oscar Wyndham Pitt
|Type of person||Individual|
|Place of birth||Currency Creek|
|Date of arrival||1908|
|Principal occupation||Butcher and baker|
|Date of death||1989|
|Place of decease||Mallala|
With his father, E.P.Pitt and his brother R.D.Pitt, Oscar Pitt operated the butchering, baking and catering business in one form or another for many years before, during and after World War 2.The butcher shop (which still exists) was on the corner of Chivell St and Wasleys Road, and the property included various buildings and a yard where the 2 or 3 horses were stabled, extending to Joseph St.
Other properties owned in conjunction with the business were the bakehouse on the other corner of Chivell St,/Joseph St, two cottages for workmen in Joseph St., the slaughteryard in the north-eastern corner of the town (now owned by the Konzag family), several acres of land in Dublin Road near the railway,and several more acres in Balaklava Road where the new slaughterhouse was built.
His father, E.P.Pitt was active in the community. He served on the District Council of Grace and in 1926 was the President of the Football Club when Oscar was Captain and his brother Ron was Secretary. E.P.Pitt was also involved in the Mallala Coursing Club.
Oscar was also similarly active. He was a Trustee of the Mallala Institute, a Committee member for some 23 years, and Caretaker for several years. He was a founding member and President of the Mallala Bowling Club, and was the Club Champion.
In the photograph of the District of Grace Councillors E.P.Pitt is the councillor in the back row on the left.