Opening of Old Mill
|Type of event|| Commemoration
Opening of Mallala Flour Mill
|Town or locality||Mallala|
|Date occurred or began||March 18, 1879|
|Managed or hosted by||Mallala Milling Company|
The grain grown in and around the district of Mallala needed to be ground and the nearest flour mill was at Two Wells. The producers wanted somewhere closer and after meetings were held to discuss various projects a decision was made to form the Mallala Milling Company.
A capital of £10,000 was decided upon and 2,000 shares were available for purchase at £5 each. These were eagerly bought up and then tenders were called and accepted. Messrs J. Martin and Co. were paid £2,000 for the machinery and carpentry and £450 for the masonry with materials being supplied by the Company.
The masonry was sublet to Messrs Peek & Hall.
The three story mill is built of hammer-dressed limestone with brick quoins and cement dressing.
At the rear of the building was a shed which contained a large Cornish boiler 26 feet long and 5 feet 6 inches in diameter. This drove a horizontal engine of 22 horsepower.
It was estimated that 240 bushels of grain could be ground per day with this machinery. The total cost was about £3,400 and the work was designed and supervised by Mr May of Messrs. J. Martin & Co. Ltd.
The Mill was formally opened by Mr W. Cavenagh MP on Tuesday 18 March 1879.
In the evening a banquet was held at the Mallala Hotel.
- The Observer Newspaper - 22 March 1879