Mallala Netball Club
|Type of organisation:|| Sporting
|Town or locality:||Mallala|
|Established by:||Mallala Community|
On 10 April 1939 a meeting was held in the residence of Mr S.C. Williams, with Miss T Tiller as chairman. It was at this meeting that it was decided to form the Mallala Basketball Club consisting of two teams and, if possible, to form an association. Those present were Misses Barbara and June Williams, R. Coleman, J. Pelton, D. Turner, G. Pitt, P. Pitt, D. Haydon, T. Tiller and C. Williams. Miss Williams was elected as first secretary and Thelma Tiller and Miss Turner were elected as captains.
All agreed on navy blue/red and black/white as the colours of the two teams.
On the 27 April 1939 delegates from Mallala, Hamley Bridge, Wasleys, Two Wells, Magdala and Long Plains agreed to form The Adelaide Plains Basketball Association. with the first president of the Association, Mr Ted Algar.
Over the years many names have appeared and nearly every family in the town has had some association with the club. During the war the basketball club lapsed and on 1 May 1946 a meeting was held in the Mallala Institute where it was decided to reform the club.
At a meeting on 12 May 1949 correspondence was read from the District Council regarding a new court. Mrs J. Coleman proposed, and it was carried unanimously, that the proposal be accepted. To help finance the project a fundraising committee was formed. One of the major functions was a ball which raised £26, 15 shillings and 1 penny. 'Miss Basketball of Adelaide Plains' was judged by Mr and Mrs Ey, and won by Miss W. Daniels of Long Plains.
Over the years the rules of the game have changed considerably and in 1971 seven-a-side basketball was renamed netball.
A book on the history of the Mallala Netball Club was written and published by Mrs Trish Konzag in 2007.
In 2009 the Mallala Netball Club is very strong with many women and girls playing each Saturday during the winter months. The grades range from women's A grade to 8 year old girls playing in D grade. The amenities include a clubroom, a shelter shed, viewing plarform and two asphalt playing courts.
- Life around the Light: A history of the Mallala District Council area compiled by Two Wells. Mallala and District History Book Committee. Community Development Board of the Council District of Mallala. (Mallala. S. Aust.) 1985.
- Information from G. Griffiths