Mallala Community Hospital
|Type of organisation:||Community Service|
|Town or locality:||Mallala|
|Established by:||Mallala Community|
|Business or purpose:||Hospital|
When the first hospital at 35 Aerodrome Road closed in 1943,Dr Boucaut and many of the residents of the district tried hard to get the council's support to establish another hospital, but it took 10 years before this dream was finally achieved.
The Mallala C.W.A. and the R.S.L persuaded the Council to establish a hospital and the large house owned by Mr. E.J.P. Earl was purchased for two thousand pounds? and converted to the Mallala District Cottage Hospital (as it was then known). Donations were forthcoming from many people throughout the District Council area, organised by Mr. A.L.Driscoll, who became the first Treasurer of the Hospital Board.
A subsidy was forthcoming from the State Government.
In 1953 Drs John and Jeanette Linn bought the medical practice and provided the stimulus for the new Mallala Community Hospital to commence. Matron libby (who later returned to the hospital as Matron Lloyd), Mrs. M Pelton, Mrs, C. Burford and Colleen Irish comprised the first staff.
During the period; Doctors John and Jeanette Linn were in Mallala. the hospital was enlarged, major improvements and additions were completed including a labour ward, nursery, operating theatre and private rooms, and new nursing quarters, mostly instigated by the keenness, enthusiasm and guidance of these two doctors, accompanied with the help and assistance of the hospital board and the ladies auxiliary who have worked hard and tirelessly to keep all the equipment modern and of top standard.
For over 50 years this hospital has continued to serve the district.