Long Plains Store
|Type of organisation:||Business|
|Also known as:||Long Plains Shop and Post Office|
|Street name:||Cnr Daniel Rd and Ridley Rd|
|Town or locality:||Long Plains|
|Established by:||David Parker|
|Business or purpose:||Store and Post Office|
In 1881 David Parker built a store at Long Plains with a residence attached on part section 205 Hundred of Dublin. It was registered as a Post Office in July 1881.
David married Jane Agnes Scandrett in October 1882 and thereafter the store was operated as a family business. David would drive his two horse team and wagon to Adelaide each month to bring back provisions for the store and to fulfil orders for farmers.
In 1892 he leased the store for one year to R.D. Lawrie, then David Parker again took over the running of the store and post office for another thirteen years.
A blacksmith shop was built on the grounds of the Long Plains Store and in later years was operated by David's son Frank Parker in conjunction with L.G. Huxtable.
David's ill health determined that the shop was leased to J.D.B. Harrington in December 1905 for a period of five years. Following David's death in February 1906 J. Harrington sub let the store to Charles William Burnard.
At the end of the lease period in 1910 the store was purchased by Charles William Burnard.
The store remained in the Burnard family until its closure in 1976.
During this time the store sold practically everything required by the residents of the Long Plains district including food, drapery, boots, hardware, stockfeed and in later years fuel.
The Post Office operated from July 1881 and the mail was delivered three times a week via horse drawn van from Owen. When the railway reached Long Plains in 1917, mail was sent from Adelaide by train six days a week.
Following the closure of the store in 1976 a new building was purpose built next to the Long Plains Memorial Hall to house a limited postal facility.
In the year 2013 the mail is delivered to Long Plains via the Two Wells Post Office.
- Mrs Ethel Earl (nee Parker of Long Plains)
- Book "From Wheatsheaf to Wheat Lands" David Parker and his descendants 1822 - 1988
- Mallala Museum records
Memories of Long Plains Store
David Parker was born at Peachy Belt S.A. on 1st February 1856, the third son of David and Isabella Parker. David Jnr spent time working in the north of South Australia before arriving at Long Plains. In 1881 he built the Long Plains Store and Post Office.
The phone box which for many years was located at the front of the Long Plains Store is now and exhibit at the Mallala Museum. It is located next to the former Long Plains School room.