Long Plains School
|Type of organisation:|| Government
|Town or locality:||Long Plains|
|Established by:||Mr and Mrs Mitchell|
|Business or purpose:||Education|
The school was opened by Mr Mitchell, the first teacher in charge, on 28 May 1883, with the students enrolled from a radius of five miles.
The three terms were spaced with one week holiday between them until Christmas when two weeks were taken.
The pupils were divided into five classes with approximately 45 scholars in classes 3, 4, 5 which were taught by one teacher in a separate room to class 1 and 2. The lessons were reading, writing and arithmetic.
In the period 1918 to 1920 the main stone building was enlarged. One wall was demolished so that the room could be enlarged. The bricks, limestone and sand were brought by rail to the station and transported to the site by the male pupils to the school, mainly by horse and dray.
In 1956-57 a transportable classroom and porch was erected on the grounds under instructions by the Public Business Department, Education Branch. When the school was closed in 1973 this building was transported to Mallala to help accommodate the new students. This 1950s schoolroom has now been relocated to the Mallala Museum and houses its education collections.
The photograph of the sundial is included in the article because it recognises the closure of the Long Plains School. The sundial is installed at the Malalal School with engravings to show the distance, the date of closure and the direction of the school in relation to the Mallala School.
|Register of Teachers in Charge||Date of taking charge|
|James John Mitchell||1.6.1883|
|Charles James Henryfeah||30.9.1895|
|Leila Anne Jervis||13.3.1896|
|Alice Maude Anderson||17.1.1898|
|David Percy Beale||1.1.1899|
|Alfred Martin Stapley||22.1.1900|
|Mary Emmeline James||18.1.1904|
|Margaret Veronica Madigan||11.4.1904|
|Mary Emmeline James||16.1.1905|
|Lindsay Jean Stewart||30.1.1906|
|Doris Homesby Carter||29.10.1906|
|Czarina Elizabeth Whittington||23.1.1911|
|Frederich George Lee||18.1.1915|
|Henry Bedford Duce||12.4.1915|
|Arthur J Johncock||8.11.1915|
|Murray J Stanley||1.2.1916|
|Margaret L Hall||1-12-1941|
|RusselI H Bennet||27.1.1942|
|Patrick Leo Fogarty||5.2.1942|
|Ian John Camac||14.7.1955|
|Ernst B. Heyne||10.2.1959|
|Howard E.Moller||24.5 1960|
|John P. Kerrin||1.4.1963|
|Gerald W. Roberts||10.2.1969|
- Mallala Museum research notes
Memories of Long Plains School
All three Parker generations attended this school I was told that Alec and John Good were contracted to cart the building materials the mile from rail station to school.
Mr Mitchell was the teacher at the school conducted in the Dalkey Methodist chapel until his transfer to Long Plains. Mrs Mitchel was a sister of Robert Thomas Burt Daniel who donated the acre of land for school grounds.