Long Plains Memorial Hall
|Town or Locality:||Long Plains|
|Used for:||Community gatherings|
During the early years of settlement the Long Plains people had no public meeting place so all public gatherings and church services were held in Ezekiel Good's barn until the Church of Christ Chapel was built in 1903 on land owned by W.H. Parker, part section 373 Hundred of Dublin.
Fund raising began in the early 1900s to build a hall, but the Great War 1914 - 1918 interupted the money raising while the community concentrated on supporting the Red Cross organization.
The decision on the site for the hall was delayed until the route of the railway line was agreed on.
Tenders were called to build a hall on land donated by Mr John Good. Tenders were all rejected and the President Andrew Parker suggested that his farm labourer Mr Bob Duck could be employed to build the walls of the hall. Mr Duck had gained experience and built several limestone sheds in the district. His wages were 2/6 (25 cents) a day over a period of 12 months mostly toiling on his own.
The stones for the building were all dug up with crow bars from the local area and delivered along with the sand and lime by volunteers. Local carpenter Mr Charlie Baker completed the hall with the total cost being 1,200 pounds.
The building was opened in 1923 by Sir Richard Butler and dedicated to the four young men from the area who were killed during World War One.
Over the years all maintenance has been carried out by volunteers. In 1982 Deidre Parker designed a new extension to be added to the western side of the hall comprising a kitchen/supper room and toilet facilities. A brick layer from Pinery was employed but all other work was done by volunteers. At the same time the hall was reroofed.
A quote for the extension had been received for $40.000 but by using mostly volunteer labour it was built for a cost of $16,000.
Since building the extension in 1982 all maintainance of the hall and surroundings has been done by volunteers with labour, materials and equipment all given freely by local people.
The Long Plains Memorial Hall still belongs entirely to the people of the Long Plains district.
Mr Alan Parker has been caretaker of the Long Plains Memorial Hall since 1954 and must be commended for his dedication.
- Mr Alan Parker of Long Plains
Memories of Long Plains Memorial Hall
For many years Mr Alan Parker has organized three dances in the hall each year and these moneys help toward the expenses of running the hall. Plant and food stalls also provide finance.
The Church of Christ closed in 1981 so the Memorial Hall is the only meeting place in Long Plains other than the Long Plains Sporting Club venue.
The original back drop in the stage area of the Long Plains hall was given to the Mallala Museum. Due to its deterioration it is unfit for display but a replica curtain hangs in the stage area of the Southern Gallery in the Mallala Museum.