Long Plains Church of Christ
|Type of organisation:|| Religious
|Street suffix:||Section 373 Hundred of Dublin|
|Ceased operation:|| |
The date "22 january 1948" was not understood.
|Established by:||Church of Christ|
|Business or purpose:||Religious Services|
In 1881 at a meeting held at the Mallala Church of Christ, a motion was passed "that the brethren at Long Plains be at liberty to form themselves into a separate church".
Thirty nine people who had been on the roll from the western district transferred to the newly formed church. The group met in homes for many years and it was not until 1903 that a church building was erected on a corner of W.H. Parker's property, section 373 Hundred of Dublin.
On January 22nd 1948 the chapel was destroyed in the disasterous fire that swept through the district. Services continued to be held in the Long Plains Soldiers' Memorial Hall. Section 373 was returned to A.L. Parker.
A new chapel was built of stone on land donated by Mr D. J. Daniel next to the Memorial Hall in Long Plains, and was declared open on 11th April 1953.
A Sunday School was formed to instruct young people in Christian beliefs, and in 1961 a large hut measuring 80 ft. x 18 ft. was purchased for 200 pounds from the Auction at the Mallala Aerodrome. This building was placed adjacent to the church and used for Sunday School and other youth activities.
Due to declining membership the Long Plains Church of Christ closed in January 1981 with the remaining members transfering to nearby congregations.
- "Life around the Light" A History of the Mallala District Council Area. Published in 1985.