Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Hooded Abbott Buggy

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of thing Domestic
Date made or found 1900
Place made Adelaide, South Australia
Place used Mallala, South Australia


Ceased use 1956

The Buggy was owned by the Pratt family of Korunye South Australia (formerly known as Paddys Bridge). John Pratt was an 'Old Colonist' who had arrived in the Lower Light area c. 1860 to purchase land. His grandson William Pratt and his wife Margaret (nee Frost) are well remembered driving to the Lower Light Methodist Church for Sunday Services and other local activities. Their grand daughter Margaret remembers that as a small child she was taken to Sunday School at Lower Light in the buggy. Mrs Pratt always wore a distinctive cloth hat. Mr William Pratt used the buggy regularly, and one important event was the monthly trip to Gawler to procure a supply of bran for his pigs and ducks. The buggy continued to be used by William almost up until the time of his death in 1956. The buggy had a forward facing seat for two or three people. During wet weather the hood could be fully closed on three sides. On a mild day the middle back could be rolled up, and on a very hot day the sides could be removed or the hood completely lowered. The timber wheels had solid rubber rims. The wheels were dish shaped and set so they are angled away from the vehicle at the top, to enable centrifugal force to throw dust, mud etc away from the passengers, who were also covered with a waterproof, wool lined lap rug to keep them clean and warm. A light horse or pony was used for the purpose of pulling the buggy and a nosebag of chaff was always on board for the sustenance of the horse when they reached their destination. A lamp was set in a bracket on each side. A sloping back compartment with hinged flap opened up to store luggage or goods. The buggy was donated to the Mallala Museum by Mr Ernest Pratt of Korunye, South Australia, the son of William and Margaret Pratt. It was in poor condition and in 1999 was restored by Dennis Nation and John Dickson (both of Mallala) assisted by members and friends of the Mallala Museum Committee. The buggy is now a valued exhibit at the Mallala Museum.


Sources

  • Mallala Museum Research Notes
Hooded Abbott Buggy
Hooded Abbott Buggy
Buggy
Buggy

Memories of Hooded Abbott Buggy

Do you remember Hooded Abbott Buggy ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share