Grace Plains Methodist Church
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Street number:|| Part section 483 Hundred of Grace, corner of Balaklava Road and Nairn Road
|Town or locality:||Grace Plains|
|Established by:||Bible Christians|
|Business or purpose:||Religious services|
See also Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel
The Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel was built in 1868.
In 1900 church union occurred between the Bible Christians, the Primitive Methodist and the Wesleyan protestant churches and formed one church known as the Methodist Church of Australia. The Grace Plains Church was then known as the Grace Plains Methodist Church. It was part of the Balaklava circuit until 1905 when it joined the Mallala circuit.
In 1909 the trustees decided to build a new larger church building to accommodate 150-200 people. "It was resolved that we build the church 40 feet x 25 feet inside measurements and that Messrs J. Nairn, A.V. Nairn, W. March, C. Hall and S.J. Secomb be the building committee". The church was opened debt free on 22nd June 1909 by Rev. W.G. Clark at a total cost of 619 pound. Minister at that time was Rev. C.E. Schafer and trustees were: Messrs S.J. Secomb, Geo. Broster, Allan March, Henry Franks, H.F. Rowe, A. Hammann. C. Tiller, A.E. March, G.A. Franks, C.E. Hall, A.V. Nairn, J. Houston. C. Marshman, H. Adams, W.S. march, G. T. Arnold, J. Nairn all of Grace Plains and Geo. Marshman of Owen.
The Diamond Jubilee of the church was held in 1928 and a commemorative window dedicated in memory of the pioneers. In 1946 a kitchen was built onto the rear of the original church (then used as a hall)
On December 5th 1971 the final service was held in the Grace Plains Methodist Church and guest preacher was Rev. Kevin Secomb formerly of Grace Plains.
At the rear of the church building is the Grace Plains Cemetery.
- "Life around the Light. A history of Mallala District Council area" published in 1985.