Grace Plains Football Club
|Type of organisation:|| Sporting
|Town or locality:||Grace Plains|
|Business or purpose:||Football Club|
In 1904 a football club was formed at Grace Plains with about 25 members. Games were played against Korunye, Dublin, Avon and Mallala, in the Adelaide Plains Association. Club colours were blue and green and in 1925 guernseys cost 8 shillings and 6 pence, and socks 2 shillings and 4 pence!
In 1926 Grace Plains won the premiership. Team members were S. March, H. Davies, E. Arnold, H. Arnold, R. Coker, P. Franks, C. March, E. Galbraith, L. March, M. Lawrie, J. McCabe, C. Nairn, C. Blacket, H. Lawrie, W. Johnson, C. Secomb, K. Nairn (captain), G. March (vice captain), and W. Broster. The goal umpire was H. Johnson, and the trainers were W. Poyzer and E. Ray.
Timekeeper for Grace Plains for many years was G. Arnold and when the club closed he went to Mallala with many Grace Plains players and continued in the same capacity there and was later awarded life membership of the Mallala club. In 1935 the club fielded a side for the last time and finally disbanded as a club in 1936.
- Mallala Museum research notes
Memories of Grace Plains Football Club
The photograph displayed is of the Grace Plains Football team which won the premiership of the Adelaide Plains Football Association in 1926. Their club colours were green and navy blue.