Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: Lot 25, Section 483 Balaklava Road
Town or Locality: Hundred of Grace
Year constructed: 1970/01/01
Used for: Religious Services
Loading map...

The Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel was located 5 miles north of Mallala on land surveyed in 1864.

Pioneers were able to purchase acreage for about two pounds per acre. Mr Robert Marshman, a local blacksmith and butcher, gave a piece of land for the Chapel to be erected in 1868. The Chapel was opened in November of that year possibly built by Mr Mathew with much work and material provided by the settlers.

In about 1872 a Day School was opened at the Chapel with about 60 children in attendance. The first teacher was probably a Mr Adams.

A new Church replaced the Chapel in 1910.

Mrs Gehan {nee Rose Tiller} who was born in 1884, was baptised in the original Chapel. Rose had married Edward Lewis Irish who died in1941,and sixteen years after Lewis's death, she married again. Her second husband was Bertie Elliott Walter Gehan. She became the first bride married in the new Church.

The Grace Plains Congregation was for a short time connected to both the Balaklava and the Gawler Circuit but in 1887 Grace Plains became the head of its own Circuit. Preaching places included Pinery, Woolsheds and Kangaroo Flat. Social activities in the early years included the Choir, Bible Study Groups, Ladies Guild, Christian Endeavour and the Literary Society. A friendly game of cricket arranged by Mr G. Broster between the Grace Plains and Barabba Literary Societies was one of the first in the area.

Some of the earliest families to settle at Grace Plains were Marshman, Webster, Worden, Franks, March, Schnieder, Broster, Tiller, Biggs, Bartlett, Adam, Moody, Streeter and Cherryman. The chapel has now been sold and is a private residence.

At the rear of the buildings is the Grace Plains Cemetery.

Related Articles

Sources

  • "His Spirit Comes". E.A. Curnow. Published by Uniting Church in South Australia.
Grace Plains Methodist Church
Grace Plains Methodist Church

Flickr Error ( Photo not found ): PhotoID 4816395401


Memories of Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel

Margaret remembers: The District Council of Mallala has replaced the derelict signage that identified the cemetery. The new sign which was installed by early November 2012 is simple and effective.

Do you remember Grace Plains Bible Christian Chapel ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share