Feltwell Primitive Methodist Chapel
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Also known as:||Feltwell Chapel|
|Street number:||pt. section 570|
|Street name:||Feltwell Road|
|Town or locality:||Hundred of Grace|
|Established by:||Primitive Methodists|
|Business or purpose:||Religious services|
The South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail - March 11th. 1871 reports "On Sunday and Monday 6th and 7th inst., the anniversary services in connection with Feltwell Chapel, were held. Sermons were preached by the Rev. J. Standrin of Saddleworth to overflowing congregations.On the following day also, the Chapel proved too small to receive all who came to partake of the social cup, and to welcome their late pastor. The public meeting, presided over by Mr. S. Moody, J. P.,was one of a very lively character, and was addressed by the Revs. S. Wellington, of Roseworthy, S.Gray of Two Wells and J. Standrin. The entire proceeds amounted to about 31 pounds."
The South Australian Advertiser - 21 May 1873 reports under MARRIAGES "TYLER-LAWSON On 13th May, in the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mallala, by the Rev. S. Gray, Mr Valentine Tyler, third son of Titus Tyler, Mallala, to Miss Eliza Lawson, eldest daughter of A. Lawson, teacher, Mallala." Given that the entry here concerning the Foundation of Mallala Methodist Church states that the Primitive Methodist Chapel within the township of Mallala was not opened until 1874, it seems likely that this ceremony took place in the Feltwell Chapel.
- Documentation held at the Mallala Museum
Memories of Feltwell Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Mallala Museum does not have a photograph of the Feltwell Primitive Methodist Chapel. (the building was also used as a school) If there is a photograph available the Museum Committee would be delighted to receive a copy. Thank you.