Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by



2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by


National Trust of South Australia


East Workshops

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Type of organisation: Business
Also known as: East Bros & Co Ltd
Street number: 6
Street name: Balaklava
Street suffix: Road
Town or locality: Mallala
Date established: 1886
Ceased operation: 1970
Established by: Matthew Henry East
Business or purpose: Agricultural machinery manufacturing
Loading map...

In 1886, M.H. East established the company known as East Bros & Co. Ltd, whose business was the engineering and manufacturing of farming implements and associated products.

On the death of M.H. East, the Company was taken over by his sons, R.R., R.C., F.O., H.B., O.L. and E.H. East.

The firm flourished for 84 years until a decline in the rural industry forced the closure of the firm in 1970. Mr David East was the Managing Director from 1956 until the closure.

The demise of this business was a great loss to the town of Mallala owing to the trade it generated and the people it employed.

The name of M.H. East was recommended by the Mallala District Council to the Federal Government for his services to rural industry and 'East Place' in the suburb of Kambah in Canberra now bears his name.

East Brothers used the site at 1, 3 and 5 Balaklava Road as their Workshops.

They also operated a garage and Ford dealership, and their mechanic was Mr Bob Plate.

Related Articles


  • Notes by C. East - Mallala Museum Businesses
East Bros workshop
East Bros workshop
East Brothers
East Brothers
East Bros Office
East Bros Office
East Brothers Workshop
East Brothers Workshop
East Bros Sale
East Bros Sale

Memories of East Workshops

Do you remember East Workshops ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share