Dublin Primitive Methodist Church
|Type of organisation:|| Religious
|Town or locality:||Dublin|
|Established by:||Primitive Methodists|
|Business or purpose:||Religious services|
The original land grant for Lot 51 Hundred of Dublin was purchased by Isaac Birtwistle on 23 August 1876. Mr. Anthony purchased the property on 2 August 1880.
The first Primitive Methodist Church Trustees at Dublin were: William Crosby - storekeeper, Rev Samuel Gray - Minister from the Two Wells Church, Jonathon Porter, Joel Prime, Ralph Bunbury Smith and John Martin all farmers of Dublin.
In 1880 a tender from Mr Fielding was accepted to build the church for 335 pounds.
On 10th and 12th October 1880 six foundation stones were laid, one on each corner of the building and one either side of the front door. The six ladies involved in the ceremony were: Mesdames W. Crosby, J. Prime, J. Porter, G.H. Lindsay, Misses Martin and Forbes. The Reverends Gray and Underwood conducted the service.
The church was completed for a cost of 500 pounds and opened in February 1881 with Reverend Clark of Victoria officiating at the service.
Records indicate that the debt owing on the church was cleared during the ministry of Reverend Dinglle 1900-1910.
In 1900, prior to church union, the Primitive Methodist Church circuit comprised of the following: Dublin, Barabba, Lower Alma, Mallala, Feltwell and Shannon churches,
Church union occured in 1900 between the Bible Christians, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan faiths to become the Methodist Church of Australia.
The Dublin Methodist Church progressed as part of the Mallala Circuit.
In June 1910 at a meeting chaired by Rev Chas C. Scafer, it was agreed that a front porch be added to the Dublin Church. Mr Cheney was contracted to build the porch.
In 1920 following the conclusion of World War One, an extension to the Dublin Church was planned for a Memorial Hall and Kindergarten and Mr Rossiter provided the plans and specifications. A tender was accepted for Mr Jonathon Porter to be paid 95 pounds to build the extension.
On 24 April 1920 the foundation stone was laid by Mrs G Taylor to the Glory of God and in memory of the three soldiers from the district who were Killed in Action during World War One - Pte Norman Thompson, Pte Lloyd Habner and Liet. Cecil E. Patterson. The hall was also blessed for the use and well being of the Kindergarten children. Three round windows were etched in memory of the above named soldiers.
The Dublin Methodist Church Hall extension was opened in 1921.
During the 1960s, due to dwindling numbers, it was decide by the parish that it was not possible to have two churches operating in the western area. Prior to a decision to close a church, Dublin and Windsor Methodist Churches alternated their services on a quarterly basis over a period of a year. The difficult decision was then made to close the Dublin Church and leave open for worship the Windsor Methodist Church.
Ther final service in the Dublin Methodist Church was held on 31 December 1967. It was conducted by the Reverend Jim Dawes with the first half of the service being held in the Dublin Church and the congregation then driving the short distance to complete the service in the Windsor Methodist Church.
The Dublin Church was later sold and is now a private residence.
Dublin Primitive Methodist Church Ministers 1881 - 1899 as follows:
1881 S. Gray
1882 W. Jenkin
1884 H.J. Parkinson
1888 A.W. Wellington
1891 Thos Weatherill
Dublin Methodist Church Ministers 1900 - 1967 (Following amalgamation)
1900 - 1910 J. Dingle
1910 - 1912 C.E. Schafer
1912 - 1914 S. Mugford
1915 - 1916 T. Thredbald
1916 - 1918 M. Tresise
1919 - 1921 S. Rossiter
1922 - 1926 F. Rogers
1926 - 1929 J.C. Jennison
1929 - 1932 L.D. Keipert
1932 - 1936 J. McIntosh
1936 - 1939 H.C. Hill (Died in service)
1939 - 1941 E. Broomhead
1941 - 1944 S.H. Dorman
1944 - 1946 A. R. Broadbent
1944 - 1946 R. Plowes
1950 - 1954 L.T. Ashman
1954 - 1957 T.C.O. Patrick
1957 - 1958 R.C. Dalton
1958 - 1962 F. Albury
1963 - 1965 M. Polkinghorne (died in service)
1965 - 1967 J. A. Dawes.
Above dates Compiled by P. Thompson - Dublin History Group Inc.
- Information provided by the Dublin History Group Inc.