Dublin Christ Church
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Also known as:|| Dublin Anglican Church
|Town or locality:||Dublin|
|Date established:||c. 1886|
|Ceased operation:||c. 1910|
|Established by:||Rev. W.F. Marshall|
The memorandum of transfer notes that Allotment 29 Hundred of Dublin was purchased on 9th March 1886 by The Bishop's Home Mission Society of South Australia from Mr George Bliss West of Dublin for the sum of 30 pounds. The purpose of the transaction was to provide land on which to build an Anglican Church in the township of Dublin South Australia.
Trustees were Mr Thomas Wainright (farmer) Mr Edward Toleman (Dublin Hotel Proprieter) Mr George Wells (station hand) and Mr Arthur Aiken Wickstead (School teacher from Wild Horse Plains)
The Reverend W.P. Marshall was in charge of St Peter's Anglican Church at Mallala and he was requested by the Second Bishop of Adelaide the Right Reverend G.W. Kennion to supervise the building of an Anglican Church at Dublin. He named the building Christ Church.
Mr George Bliss West built the church from limestone quarried on his property two miles south of the township of Dublin. The lime was also burnt on his property.
On Friday14th May 1886 the foundation stone of the church was laid. At the Dublin Institute a procession of eighty people was formed and proceeded to the church where the walls were almost complete. The ceremony was conducted by Bishop Kennion who was assisted by Rev. C.S. Beaumont and after the hymn and a service the Bishop placed the stone in position and called it "well and truly laid". After an address subcriptions to the amount of 21 pounds were laid on the stone and then an offertory of 5 pound 15 shillings and 9 pence was collected from those assembled.
Later in the evening Bishop Kennion preached to a large congregation in the Institute and an offertory on the occasion was 4 pounds and 3 pence was for the building fund.
On Thursday 15th July 1886 the opening and dedication of Christ Church were performed by Bishop Kennion with the Rev E.S.Beaumont assisting.
"The Church which is of Gothic design, has a good and cheerful appearance both internally and externally, and is a credit to the Church people of Dublin, who have worked well and harmoniously for it; and for their unity they were commended by the Bishop. A marked feature in the interior of the Church is a very handsome altar cloth made by Mrs Dove, of Walkerville, and other ladies." The funds for the material were collected by Mrs Gray of Dublin. "The Communion rail, which is also of Gothic design, and looks well, is the gift of the contractors."
Afterwards the Bishop presided at the tea and concert which was held in the Dublin Institute. The concert programme was carried out by friends from the surrounding districts.
It is believed that the second Bishop of Adelaide Reverend G.W. Kennion, his chaplain Rev. H.G. Rawstone and Rev. W.F. Marshall (Priest of the Home Mission Society) conducted the first service in Dublin Christ Church 1886.
Serving Priests for Christ Church Dublin were as follows:
1886 Rev. W.F. Marshall
1886 Rev. C.S. Beaumont
1887 Rev. E.K. Yeatman
1892 Rev. J.H. Williams
1894 Rev T. Worthington
1900 Rev. F. Parnell
1902 Rev. H.F.E. Wigram
1904 Rev. R.W. Kenny
1907 Rev. T. Ward
1909 Rev. A. Macully
In 1910 the decision was made to close Christ Chuurch at Dublin due to the lack of attendance.
The roof blew off the building in c.1922 and in the early 1930s the walls were demolished.
- Dublin History Group Inc.
- South& Australian Register
Memories of Dublin Christ Church
During a later period Mrs Brice Porter was the organist and also the caretaker.