District Council of Grace
|Type of organisation:|| Government
|Town or locality:||Hundred of Grace|
|Business or purpose:||Local Government Services|
In April 1874 the District Council of Grace was proclaimed, comprising an area of approximately 55,000 acres. The first members of the Council were William Bartlett (Chairman), Samuel Chivell, George Marshman, J.S. Sutton and B. McHugh. Initially, Council meetings were held in the Mallala Hotel.
In 1878 Mr. George Marshman became Chairman and went on to serve the Council for 32 years, during which time he chaired the Council for 21 years.
In 1878 a single room Council Chamber was built on Owen Road . Thomas Griggs, the local builder contracted to erect the stone building for the sum of £276/16/0 and a further £9/8/0 for the supply of one cedar table,6 cedar chairs and 6 deal forms. In 1886 the district was divided into wards. In May 1935 the District of Grace was amalgamated with the Districts of Dublin and Port Gawler and was named the District Council of Light. This was not a popular name and in 1937 it was renamed the District Council of Mallala.