Churches Butcher Shop
|Type of organisation:||Business|
|Also known as:||Tom Abbotts Butchers, Tom's catering|
|Town or locality:||Mallala|
|Established by:||Samuel Churches|
|Business or purpose:||Butcher|
Mr Samuel Churches operated a Butchers Shop at 11 Wasleys Road from 1880. In 1907 it was sold to Mr William Traynor.
It was sold to Mr E.P. Pitt in 1916. (He had previously farmed on Section 13 Hundred of Grace.) For many years Mr Pitt owned the business and a bakery which was part of the business, was situated at the South West corner of Chivell and Joseph Streets.
The slaughter house on Chivell Street was immediately behind the butcher's shop and adjoining house. Many years later the slaughter house was shifted to the northern end of Elizabeth Street, and much later again it was relocated out of the town area on Balaklava Road.
Mr Coleman managed the business for a short time in the early days. A horse drawn delivery van operated in the town and also travelled to the nearby farms delivering bread and meat.
In c.1940, the brothers Oscar W. and Ron Pitt took over the business, and sold it in c.1945. Some other owner/managers of the business were Messrs Keith & Bob Carter, Nash & Macklin, Don Evans and Terry Brown. Mr Tom Abbot operated the butcher's shop from 1983 until 2001 when it was closed
- Mallala Museum research notes - Mallala Businesses