Barabba Primitive Methodist Church
|Type of organisation:||Religious|
|Also known as:||Barabba Primitive Methodist Chapel|
|Street number:||Corner of Woods Road (Part Section 200 Hundred of Dalkey)|
|Town or locality:||Barabba|
|Established by:||Barabba Community|
|Business or purpose:||Religious services|
Church services were first held in the home of Edward Bacon, a son of Lady Charlotte Mary Bacon. Edward purchased his land Section 411 Hundred of Grace in 1866.
Land was donated by Mr Edward Wall to build a church on part Section 200 of Dalkey, and in 1867 a pug and pine building plastered with mortar was built and used as the first church.
The church was part of the Primitive Methodist Church circuit of Gawler and a minister travelled from Gawler, but was assisted by local preachers to enable the church to function.
In 1876 an stone and mortar church was built in front of the first church and the cornerstones were laid by Misses Wall, Fidge, Crawford and Mrs Lithgow. The church building cost 200 pound and was officially opened on 26th November. Trustees appointed at this time were John Lithgow - secretary, James Dow, Edward Wall Jnr, John Wall, John Searle and William Towell - treasurer.
In the early days services were held morning and evening and the Sunday School which had started in 1876 was held in the afternoon.
Following amalgamation in 1900, Barabba became part of the Methodist Church of Australia and was included in the Mallala Circuit.
In 1925 a church hall was built onto the rear of the church and was opened by Mrs W. Sears. The Barabba Methodist Church closed in 1967 due to dwindling attendances. The last minister was Rev. Jim Dawes.
The trustees at the time of closure of the church were A.H. Wall, J.D. Dow, D.L. Dow, D.L. Wilson, C.W. Munday and A.N.Wood.
The church was eventually demolished and a cairn built from some of the stones used in the church. The inscription on the plaque reads as follows:
To the Glory of God
This cairn was raised
To recall that on this site
Stood the Barabba Methodist Church
From 1867 to 1967.
- "Life around the Light" A History of the Mallala District Council Area.