Alma South School
|Type of organisation:|| Business
|Town or locality:||Alma|
|Date established:||c. 1860|
|Established by:||Alma Community|
|Business or purpose:||Education|
From "The Register" 18 November 1903, page 3h:
In 1903 Mr. A. Jones officiated as postmaster and Messrs. J. Pearce and P. Smith were blacksmiths. The State School at Alma North was in charge of Miss Venning and Miss Tamblyn occupied a similar position at Alma South.
Examinations at the Alma Plains School are reported in the Advertiser,20 August 1870, page 3f.
The following information was compiled when reading pages 229 and 230 of the book " People of the Plains " written by Jean V. Wood.
The Alma South School was established using the premises of the Church of Christ Chapel and the building was still standing in1986. In circa 1863 the church built a school master's residence on the opposite side of the road and the first school master was William Henry Cope.
In 1877 the Education Department listed the school as Alma South School and at that time the average attendance was 33 students.
In 1879 according to the Alma Plains Board of Advice the school was recognised as Alma Plains South. The classification of the school was varied over the years from Provisional, Class II and Special School.
In 1911 Ellen M Dubois was appointed head teacher and she remained in that position for 20 years and left on her retirement in 1931. In 1919 the school was listed as a Class IV school.
The school was closed on 29th January 1964.
- People of the Plains
- Jean V. Wood ISBN 0 85904 024 0