Reeves Plains School
|Type of organisation:|| Business
|Town or locality:||Reeves Plains|
|Date established:|| 1867
|Business or purpose:||Education|
Land for both the school and church was acquired from William Smith who was an original landholder having been allotted the section 89 Hundred of Port Gawler on 7 March 1859. One acre of land was purchased for the building of the school on 2 July 1866. The first teacher was Mr Adams. Others to follow were Mr Allport, Mr Small, Miss Ryan, Mrs Rudall and Mr Fitzgerald.
The school closed in 1967 when a school bus service was commenced to take the children to Mallala Primary School. The school building is still standing and is one of the very few original buildings still in existence in the district. The building is used as a private residence in 2009.
|Teacher||First Name||Date commenced||note||Arrived from||Date Departed||Destination|
|Day||Frank S. C.||4/03/1929||Robertstown West||31/12/1930||Canowie Belt|
|Hussey||Francis L.||30/06/1936||Gawler Primary||31/12/1938||Farrell Flat|
|Smith||Clarence||31/01/1939||Barossa Goldfields||31/12/1942||Gilbert Street|
|Lowe||N.||24/02/1948||East Adelaide||13/09/1948||Relieving Duties|
|Tucker||Garnet Ludwig||14/09/1948||Eden Hills||12/05/1950||Retired 11/05/50|
|Hunter||R. Stewart||15/09/1953||Fairview||31/12/1956||Parkside Primary|
|Ridgeway||Brian E.||12/02/1957||Lameroo Area School||31/12/1960||Thebarton|
|Richter||Ken G.||7/02/1961||Wattle Park Teachers college||31/12/1964||Linden Park Demonstration|
|Tscharke||Geraldine||9/02/1965||Wattle Park Teachers college||26/08/1966||Angaston|
- Life around the Light - A history of the Mallala District Council Area
Memories of Reeves Plains School
The Reeves Plains Tennis Club had courts adjacent to the school and in 1962 entered two teams, one in the Lower North Association and the other in Gawler River Association.This continued until 1966 when the club had only one team in the Gawler River Association.