Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

Two Wells War Memorial

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: Two Wells Soldiers Memorial
Town or Locality: Old Port Wakefield Road, Two Wells S.A.
Year created: c. 1921
Loading map...

Unveiling Ceremony at Two Wells as reported in the Bunyip (Gawler newspaper) 11th November 1921.

"Sunday was a special day at Two Wells when residents gathered in the Memorial Park to witness the unveiling of the Memorial to Fallen Soldiers of the Port Gawler District. The attendance was very large. The memorial is placed in the centre of the park which fronts the showgrounds and is part of the design prepared for the committee by Mr Reade, the State Town Planer.

The stone is Murray Bridge red freestone and the monument stands 17 feet 6 inches high from the ground. It was prepared and erected by the South Australian Monumental Company and is a splendid piece of work. Rising from a square base, there is the prepared base showing the names of the district men sacrificed in the war.

Port Gawler holding dear the ten men, their names being: H.L. Weatherspoon, J. Frost, A.J. Ince, W.C. Murrell, A.S. Radford, L.D. Secomb, C.E. Tidmarsh, L. Wasley, C.W. Westland, J. Weatherspoon.

The memorial is topped by two slender columns that add dignity and appearance to the design.

Grouped around the Memorial were chairs for the aged people, the committee, Members of Parliament and parents who suffered loss being accommodated on a twin trolley. platform.

The Chairman of the committee Mr. T.W. Day presided. He expressed his pleasure at seeing so many people present at what was now becoming a common ceremony throughout the Commonwealth. The Port Gawler movement had its origins two years before when it was decided to lay out a park and crown the work with a monument. When the reserve is completed the committee intend to hand it over to the District Council.

The service took the following form: "Old Hundredth" Prayer - Rev. H.W. Jew, "American Battle Hymn, Lesson, Prayer Rev E.H. Inger and the recessional.

Mrs Weatherspoon (senior) drew the cord that released the Union Jack drapings from around the Monument and the audience stood while the Last Post and Reveille were sounded by Trumpeter Dawes of Gawler.

Mrs Weatherspoon gave four sons to the Empire - two making the supreme sacrifice.

Mr H.B. Crosby, M.P. gave a stirring address and the service concluded with the hymn "Oh God our help in ages past", the benediction and the National Anthem.

The committee responsible for the movement in Two Wells are: Chairman Mr T.W. Day, Treasurer Mr F. Bender, Secretary Mr A.K. Halliday, and Messrs R.T. Murrell, E.A. Brooks, J. Rowe, M.P. Murphy, R.J. Laurie, A.M. Willcocks and H.H. Roberts.

Sources

  • Article from the Bunyip newspaper 11-11-1921
Two Wells WW1 War Memorial
Two Wells WW1 War Memorial
Two Wells War Memorial gardens
Two Wells War Memorial gardens
Two Wells Memorial plaques
Two Wells Memorial plaques
Two Wells memorial gardens
Two Wells memorial gardens


Memories of Two Wells War Memorial

Do you remember Two Wells War Memorial ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share