Reeves Plains Methodist Church
|Type of organisation:|| Religious
|Street name:||Days Road|
|Town or locality:||Reeves Plains, South Australia|
|Established by:||People of the Primitive Methodist faith|
The church was built in 1873 on a portion of land donated by Mr W. Smith for use by those of the Primitive Methodist faith in the Reeves Plains area. Mr William Smith had been allotted section 89 Hundred of Port Gawler on 7 March 1859. One acre of land was kindly donated for the building of the Reeves Plains school in July 1866 and a few years later the church was built in close proximity to the school. A Sunday School flourished for many years.
In 1900 the Primitive Methodist Church, Wesleyan Church and Bible Christian Churches united to form the Methodist Church of Australia.
The final service was held in the Reeves Plains Methodist Church on 30th October 1938 and church members then travelled to either Woolsheds, Redbanks or Gawler churches for worship.
The church building was demolished in 1948 and some of the material was used to build the additions to the Redbanks Methodist Church.
- "Life around the Light" A History of the Mallala District Council Area printed in 1985
Memories of Reeves Plains Methodist Church
The Mallala Museum committee members would appreciate additional facts and photographs associated with the Reeves Plains Methodist Church or school.