Join Here

Join up to edit this article or to create one yourself. It takes just a moment and it's free

How to use this wiki site

Learn more about how this wiki works here.

Produced by

mallalamuseum.gif

OPEN SUNDAYS

2.00 - 4.30pm.

Other times

by appointment.

Supported by

SweetTechnology9.gif

National Trust of South Australia

 

2a Adelaide Road

From Mallala
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: Lutz garage
Address: 2a Adelaide Road
Town or Locality: Mallala
Year constructed: c. 1925
Used for: Garage and Petrol outlet
Loading map...

In November 1924 the allotment was purchased by Johann Carl Claudius Lutz – blacksmith of Mallala.

It was transferred to Mary Edith Jane Woolcock in January 1926 and immediately leased for a 5 year period to motor mechanic Edmund Hermann Lutz who operated the garage and petrol outlet.

It was transferred from M. Woolcock to E.H. Lutz in September 1928.

In September 1929 it was transferred to Charles Edwin Reid and sons Mervyn and J.C.K. (Keith) Reid. The allotment remained in the possession of various members of the Reid family until 1957.

Mr E.H. Lutz employed Harry Lutz as a motor mechanic from 1926 – 1932.

Mr Edward H.P. Moseley was Proprietor of the motor repair business from 1932 – 1940. He employed Mr. Jim Duhring of Mallala as a mechanic.

However these were the depression years and some people could not pay their accounts. Times were tough. The Moseley family moved to Adelaide in 1940 and Edward Moseley and Jim Duhring found employment at a munitions factory.

Mr Harry Curnow moved into part of the premises 1937 to 1940 selling spare parts for the H.V. McKay Massey Harris Company.

With the outbreak of World War Two Harry Curnow enlisted in the R.A.A.F in 1940 and his mother Mrs Wilf Curnow continued to run the business 1940 – 1946.

When Harry returned to Mallala after the end of World War Two he once again became proprietor of the business but soon changed premises to join his brother Jack at Curnow’s Garage on Balaklava Road Mallala and taking with him the H.V. McKay spare parts business.

Anders & Sons Pty Ltd. (Freeling) opened a sub branch and spare parts outlet on the premises at 2a Adelaide Road in the late 1950s and it was managed by Mr O.W. Pitt of Mallala from 1960 until 1970.


Several businesses occupied the premises over the years but each for a short period only.

In 2008 David Bell and Jackie Webb purchased the premises at 2a Adelaide Road Mallala and established on the site their existing business I.R.M. – Inkerman Repairs and Maintenance. This worked in conjunction with their other business Inkerman Power Clean which had built up to clean 14 chicken farms in the mid - north area of the state. The premises allowed the company to enjoy convenient office space and to keep on site the materials and spare parts required for their business.

The business employs a manager and several workmen plus using extra casual staff when required for a bigger job.


2a Adelaide Road Mallala. Edmund Hermann Lutz owned the garage and petrol outlet in 1928
2a Adelaide Road Mallala. Edmund Hermann Lutz owned the garage and petrol outlet in 1928
2a Adelaide Road Mallala. Mr Charles Hermann Reid purchased the business in 1929.
2a Adelaide Road Mallala. Mr Charles Hermann Reid purchased the business in 1929.
1936  Harry Curnow & mother Mrs Wilf Curnow
1936 Harry Curnow & mother Mrs Wilf Curnow
Edward (Ted) Moseley
Edward (Ted) Moseley
The Moseley family with their friends and neighbours the Duhrings.
The Moseley family with their friends and neighbours the Duhrings.
Inkerman Repairs and Maintenance at 2a Adelaide Road Mallala
Inkerman Repairs and Maintenance at 2a Adelaide Road Mallala


Memories of 2a Adelaide Road

Do you remember 2a Adelaide Road ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Print Print    Subscribe by RSS Subscribe by RSS

Bookmark and Share